Environmental Specialist III (Permit Writing) - Maine DEP
The Maine Department of Environmental Protection is seeking candidates for one Environmental Specialist III positions within the Division of Water Quality Management, Bureau of Water Quality.
BRIEF JOB DESCRIPTION:
This position is a wastewater discharge permit writer in the Division of Water Quality Management (DWQM). The positions drafts wastewater discharge permits for a variety of industrial, commercial, and municipal discharges and overboard discharge permits for a variety of commercial and residential dischargers, as well as other point source dischargers. The position interacts closely with compliance, enforcement, technical engineering staff in the DWQM and water quality engineers and biologists in the Division of Environmental Assessment (DEA). This position also interacts with federal and state regulatory agencies as well as the regulated community and other interested parties.
A six (6) year combination of education and/or experience in environmental, biological, physical science, or engineering which includes two (2) years of environmental experience. Qualifying education must include at least 15 credit hours of science or engineering coursework from an accredited educational institution.
Preference will be given to candidates with the following:
- Knowledge of the laws and regulations applicable to the design and operations of wastewater treatment facilities.
- Knowledge of water pollution issues and science.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions and manage multiple projects.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to identify and analyze problems, reach logical conclusions, and make sound decisions; and to
solve problems independently.
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Exceptional skill collaborating with diverse internal and external stakeholders to resolve issues and complete complex projects within established timelines.
- Experience in technical writing.
HOW TO APPLY:
Candidates interested in any of these positions need to complete and submit an online State of Maine application, along with a detailed resume, and cover letter at: https://www.maine.gov/nrsc/jobs/index.shtml#dep.
For more information on the specifics of the positions, please contact Laura Crossley at (207) 615-6711 or firstname.lastname@example.org.